Saturday, March 24, 2012

Of Anwar Ibrahim

"Bro, I saw your picture with Anwar Ibrahim. It's everywhere on Facebook." Little did I know, the picture that was taken when I first met him personally in London during his talks would surfaced on the net again after he was found not guilty by the High Court. Eleven days later, the prosecution filed an appeal against the acquittal. 

So I checked in Facebook to reconfirm this. "119 likes and over 300 comments in the picture." I was shocked. I was thinking would it affect my career later in future especially if I am working in a high position in the Government or GLC per say?

It was at London School of Economics and Political Science on March 18th 2010 that I first met him followed by his second talk in Westminister University on March 19th. The former, being the topic regarding Religion and Pluralism captivated many people from every walk of life. It was a full house. Nobody would want to miss this chance to listen to his speech, unless someone is against him.

My capacity was a student at that time. I was not a scholar from the Government. Hence, indirectly I was eligible to go for his talks. In comparison to other students who were bonded by the Government, they were not allowed. Doing so, would affect their scholarships and subsequently their studies. I was fortunate enough.

With Anwar Ibrahim. Also in the picture is Azmin Ali and Dzuhair .